It’s been 3000 years, but this website has finally received its way overdue makeover. This time we’re going to do things… agile!
Obligatory title. Welcome! Don’t grab a seat because my AI has determined you’re most likely already sitting. So, I have done what for the last two years seemed to be the impossible: I’ve updated this website. 🎉 The previous version, which basically was a websitified version of my resume, though being not too badly designed, was getting so outdated that it started to be a bit embarrassing, really. That’s why this time, I am going to approach this differently.
First things first: no more resume website. Judging by the messages I got from recruiters via LinkedIn over the last couple of years, compared to the amount I received via the contact form on my website right under the resume section, it’s clear my website did a very poor job at introducing me professionally. My previous website design was also featuring many many progress bars to visualize how kick-ass I was at a certain skill, framework or language, but today I realize how pointless those bars are.
Since I still wanted this website to be personal and because I sometimes discover really nifty things that I’d like to share with the world even when Twitter isn’t granting me enough characters to do so, I decided this website’s main purpose to be a blog. Having only one version of my resume, the pdf version, also makes keeping it up to date easier. Nice!
I’ve just removed entire paragraphs because I was getting too technical, which I don’t want to do in this post (no worries: saved them for later). It’s also something I don’t want to do in future posts: I want this blog to be lightweight, easy to understand material that’s interesting to read. So only small updates, and I want to tackle the development in the exact same way.
What this website embodies today is just the first version that I feel comfortable with having it on my main domain name, the one that’s on my resume and on all my social profiles. It’s a very solid base: I have decided on the stack, set up the fundaments of the architecture, designed a UI and published (and open-sourced) what you can consider the first release. I have completed my first “sprint” and I am really happy with the results I was able to deliver.
I feel like this agile way of working, that I completely lacked when I was maintaining or “hotfixing”, rather, the previous version of this website, is what made it so difficult to maintain in a relatively short period of time. I would start on new features when existing ones were not properly working or needed some serious finetuning. I’ve actually quite matured in that aspect. From now on this will be different: I’ll set goals for which features to implement next, moving all other ideas to a backlog for which I’ll most likely set up GitHub Projects, for full transparency.
I’m looking forward to see the full potential of this website one day, which in the end reflects my potential. If you ever read this, Kris Baes, scrum master at Design is Dead: thanks! I have learned a lot from you.